Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 7/365: All the Small Things.

Hello hello hello. We've reached day 7. My little art project blog is officially one week old. I'm kind of proud of myself.
I know it's only been a week, but I feel like having the list to go off has definitely helped me. Already, I've come up with a couple of drawings I really like that I would have never gotten to on my own.
Since I've got a raging headache, let's get right down to business.
I have to say, I'm quite proud of this one. Also, as boring a font as Times New Roman can be to type in sometimes, I think it looks kind of spiffy in drawings.

I had originally considered doing a few small things, like a beetle, a butterfly, and then a hummingbird, but my sketches of beetles and butterflies just didn't look right. I don't know. Maybe a hummingbird was easier to settle on because just a couple days ago I drew a sugar skull style sparrow. I must say, I've been come quite taken by that sort of sugar skull style. I may let it rest for a little while now, but I like it. It's vibrant, and colorful. Maybe I'll get around to drawing an actual sugar skull, and not just birds with sugar skull styling. But "Death" is the theme for day 77, so I've clearly got a while before I have to worry about that.

Tomorrow's theme is "Angels and devils", and I must say... I might recycle an old theme of mine. I used to draw a lot of hearts with devil horns, and a devil tail... but also with a halo, and wings. I may just try to revisit that. Or perhaps, I'll do another version of this piece:
I drew this after I heard a friend's little brother had killed himself on Christmas. I only knew his brother slightly well, but it still really got to me.

Actually, I still have a few myspace messages I exchanged with my friend's brother, saved at the back of my inbox. He was sixteen years old. I didn't know him very well but I can't bring myself to delete those messages. And it still bothers me when I think about it. Especially since... he kind of expressed a small bit of interest in me, and I told him to call me back when he was legal.

I still feel kind of bad about that, and it gets me wondering. If I hadn't basically pushed him away and if I had taken any interest in him... would he still be here? I'll never know. So I try not to mull over it too much.

Maybe I'll do another piece in his honor, involving an electric guitar. He could already play really well at sixteen. That's another thing that depresses me. He could have gone so far.

But that's another regret for another day. Regretting things you cannot change is no way to go about life. That is easier said than done, though.

Anyway. Stay tuned for tomorrow's piece. Have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment