Sunday, September 25, 2011

Closing this blog. Starting up another.

I'm sorry to say that I've decided to stop updating this blog. My heart hasn't been in it for a while.
I feel like continuing to post old pictures or to edit an iffy shot from my backlog of pictures would be bullshitting you. I don't want to keep half assing an entry just to say I posted one.

I have enjoyed this blog for the most part because without it, there are a few really good drawings I would never have done. I just feel like a post a day is not a possibility anymore.
When I started this blog, I didn't have a job. No paper route, no nothing. So I had a ton of free time.
While I still have more free time than the average person, I don't feel I have an adequate amount of time to keep up a quality post a day art blog.

I don't get regular hours at my cashier job. I'll work 2-7 one day, then 11am-4:30pm the next, then I'll have a day off, then I'll work 8am-noon, then I'll work 4:30-9:30... So my hours are pretty erratic. Even though my shifts are only 5 and a half hours long at the longest, I'm still getting used to working again. Before I got this cashier job, I hadn't had a legit, paid-by-the-hour job since 2009, and even then I got shit hours. Maybe 4 hours a night three nights a week.

From mid may up until yesterday I had a paper route that I had to wake up at 5am every morning for. That didn't help.

With this being said, I do want to start up a new project blog. A friend of mine from deviantart started up a project where she's going to illustrate every Beatles song. You can find her here: http://illustratedbeatles.blogspot.com/

That gave me an idea. While the Beatles have certainly had their share of influence over the art and music of the past fifty years, they have not lit the proverbial fire under me quite like they have for some. At least... not over time. There was a period of little over a year where I ate, slept, and breathed the Beatles. That time has now passed, and I can appreciate them without an obsession looming over my head.

So I got to thinking. Is there an artist that has had that kind of a lasting influence on me? Yes, there is. His name is Thomas Dolby.
Most of you probably only know "She Blinded Me With Science" and maybe "Hyperactive" if you're an 80s freak, but my first real exposure to him was the music he composed for a short computer animation film called "Gate to the Mind's Eye". My first real exposure to his music were the three songs he composed for the film "FernGully:The Last Rainforest", but I wouldn't connect him with that until years later.

I have decided that for my new project blog, I will illustrate every Thomas Dolby song. I realize it's kind of a lofty goal, but with the things I've learned while posting this blog, I feel I can make it happen.

It will not be a post a day venture. I feel like that will make it easier on me and will allow me to churn out some quality art once in a while instead of a picture from 2007 that you've already seen.
I do want to shoot for a post a week, but that won't be set in stone.

In a way, I feel kind of bad that I wasn't able to keep this up for an entire year, like I set out to do. Back when I started, I didn't know just how difficult it would be to post something brand new every single day. I am not the skull-a-day blogger (I believe his name is Noah Scalin but don't quote me on that). He is a legit amazing artist with far more creativity than I. I dwell mainly in drawing and photography. He is more of a legit multi-media artist.
But I didn't come here to put myself down. Again. I am sorry I wasn't able to keep this going for a full year. I will leave up my previous entries but I will probably not update this particular blog again, except to give you guys the info for my new blog, when I've gotten that all started.

I hope you'll stick with me for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment