Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 80/365: dirt.

Blogger was down last night when I was going to post yesterday's entry. I kept trying back until I went to bed, and nothing. Still down.
It was even down for a better portion of today. Right now, you'll get yesterday's entry, and then later on in the evening, you'll get tonight's, which will quite frankly probably be pre-done drawings and pictures, because today has just been a shitty day. I've been in a daze the whole time. I went to bed at 11, but didn't get to sleep until well after midnight, partially due to the giant thunderstorm we had last night. At one point, there was a thunderclap so loud that someone's car alarm went off.
I woke up at 4:45 this morning. I had intended to start practicing waking up at 5am, in anticipation of the newspaper delivery route I'm going to take on. I took one look at the clock, went "Close enough, I'm awake. Now I'm going back to bed".
I woke up once at 6, and then got up for good at 7 or so.

I got an email from the newspaper guy telling me to call him on Monday so we can set up a time to meet and fill out paperwork and such. Now, when I got the newspaper route I had before, that lady didn't show me around the area I'd be delivering, but back when I had a shopper route, someone did that for me.
Now, I biked to every street on my future route, but I would still feel more comfortable if someone took me on the route.

I remember where things are by sight. I can't tell you what street names and addresses are but I know how to get places due to the pictures in my mind. So it helps to have an established mental photograph I can kind of refer to. There's a reason that years after the fact, I still remember most of the houses that got shoppers and newspapers from when I delivered before.

I'm a bit nervous still, but this route is going to make me 76 bucks per month, minus the minute cost of the rubber bands and plastic bags I'll need to buy (which you get through the newspaper people), and after my summer job, if I have trouble finding a real job the paper could potentially be my only income source.

But anyway, the art. I already wrote a novel for yesterday's food journal entry so there's no need to go into it here.

Today's (Well yesterday's, depending on your outlook) theme was dirt, and since I was feeling particularly bad about my inability to acquire a job, I decided to do something with the phrase "I feel like dirt". I was inspired by someone I watch on deviantart: http://monavx.deviantart.com/
They do these amazing, adorable journals, with just a bit of text, and picture to go along with it. Well, I wasn't really feeling it as far as the pictures go, but I wanted to do some sort of word art. I sketched it on notebook paper, and since I wanted to keep the sketchy, rough type feel, I didn't clean it up or anything. I smacked some cool color balance on it in PSP8 and called it good.



I did peruse dafont.com, a great free font website, because there's no way I'd have thought of all those on my own. 

I also kind of wanted this to be longer, but as it is my wrist was really starting to bother me by the end of those two pages. I might continue to do things in this sort of style, maybe adding little drawings. 
I did toy with the drawings idea, but I was having one of those days where every single sketch looked wrong, wasn't working out, and it was just frustrating. At one point I threw my notebook and pencil and said a few choice swear words, actually.

Tomorrow's (err, today's) theme is "distorted", and as I said, those will be old pictures and drawings, because I'm just not feeling it today. I am a little inspired (thanks in part to my renewed interest in Def Leppard and Duran Duran), but the way I feel today is more like doing a bunch of little random doodles and then going back later to see if any of the little bits could turn into a finished piece of art.

Before I forget, here are links to some of the fonts I got inspiration from or flat out copied. XD


No comments:

Post a Comment