Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 81/365: Distorted.

For today's entry, you get a bunch of pretaken, premade stuff. I already explained a bunch of shit in what was supposed to be yesterday's entry, so I won't go on about it again.

However one thing is a bit different. I'm having another episode of creepy music induced paranoia.
I was browsing cracked.com, and even though I've read this article before, I like re-reading certain articles.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19094_6-songs-that-were-decades-ahead-groundbreaking-music.html

The mistake I make with music that scares me is that even though I KNOW it's going to freak me out for hours afterwards, I can't resist checking to see if I still find it extremely creepy.
Well, I do. Go look at that article. Love without sound is pants shittingly frightening for me, but for some reason I still clicked on that play button and had to listen to half of it.
This first reared its strange head in college, when I was in psychology class. Even though I had to drop that class,  the one thing I remember is us talking about subliminal messaging, and part of that was about backmasking in music. I think that was actually one of the triggers of my strange paranoid behavior.
The teacher played us a clip from a website, which I later looked up. It's the stupidest thing in the world now, but listening to the backwards Led Zeppelin clip back then? It scared me so much that for three days and nights, I slept with the lights and the tv on.

Now, admittedly that was pretty crazy and I've moved on from that sort of stupid shit behavior, and largely I am a lot less paranoid about some of that stuff. However, I find that I go through waves of being a little too paranoid. Most of the time I'm okay, but the paranoia will spike and drop at certain points. Tonight is just a spike.

Honestly though, creepy music has a strange way to just... ugh. The creepy music or whatever will get stuck in my head and will just loop over and over until I'm really freaked out. That will be easy to combat with an mp3 player that I occasionally wear to bed anyway but... I don't know. During the times when I feel really good and almost normal, I like to think that all those stupid, paranoid, socially anxious times were just me overreacting, but then I hit one of the spells.

But I can already see I've gone WAY off topic, so let's get back to it, shall we? Now, for today's theme, I looked up the keyword "trippy" in my deviantart gallery, because I think trippy stuff can have a lot to do with distorted shapes, figures, and all that jazz.

I haven't done this style of drawing in a long time. It's hard to believe that I, with my short attention span, can stare at a drawing for hours, coloring in spaces that large with extra fine line sharpies, but I think that gives a certain rhythm to my drawings.


Drawn with a mouse, using the pen tool in Paint Shop Pro 8. Yeah, you get perfectly smooth lines, but I just feel like the pen tool is more trouble than it's worth. That being said I do really like this style but it just feels to me like something a normal person could churn out in MS Paint, but that it takes me hours to do in Paint Shop Pro.

This was worked on little by little, completely while staying after work back when I washed dishes at a bar/restaurant. So there's a good chance I was wasted while working on a good chunk of this. Most of it I like but some of it feels a little insane and sloppy. Which is how I get when I draw drunk. I do come up with some good ideas but I am not good at drawing at all when I'm drunk.
Although, to be honest, this was done way back in 2009, and I have improved a lot since then, I think.

A good chunk of this was worked on in a local coffee shop. It may be a little stereotypical, but I really love drawing in coffee shops.

This was done during a time where I was on a binge of listening to the Alan Parsons Project, and my drink of choice was amaretto. To this day when I see this drawing, or think of the song I used lyrics from, I think of  a sweet, almond taste. It's weird.

Inspired by some ivy that had started growing on one of our window screens.

Trippy picture of my brother from when he had long hair. That lyric belongs to Cher.

This isn't distorted in the typical sense, but it's one of very few pictures in my gallery that could be construed to have a creepy vibe. I don't like being scared/freaked out so I try to avoid that kind of thing.

This picture is simply being included because I like the vibe; it actually has nothing to do with today's theme. I just miss it in the sense that I used to get all these ideas for still life photos, with trinkets and jewelry, from stuff I've gotten at second hand stores. I feel like I've lost a little bit of that. Sometimes I feel like there's a wall in my brain. On my side, there is a big vast black expanse only very rarely permeated by creative things; more or less it feels like a barren wasteland.
But then you have the other side of that wall. There is a vast forest of creativity, and every inch of it has creative, colorful life. And if I could just figure out how to tear down that wall, I'd be so much better than I am right now.

Of course, there is a different meaning that I could gather from that. Maybe my mind put up that wall for a reason. Maybe I wouldn't know what to do with so many ideas coming to me all at once. As someone who can have highs and lows like a manic depressive, it can be overwhelming when you want to do everything at once. You want to draw a million different things at once, watch a million different movies, and listen to all your music at once. But you can't decide what to concentrate on, so you end up doing nothing.

It's weird. I'm in a trippy, not quite sane mood so I'm sure that's helping. Well. It's helping my writing, I think. I usually think I sound like shit but when I hit spells like this I feel I get a bit more eloquent.
That could all just be in my head too.

Tomorrow's theme is "don't go", and I'll tell you now, whatever I produce for that will more than likely be Def Leppard inspired. I've become a bit smitten with them (and Duran Duran) lately so... get used to it.

God damn I can't stop rambling. Just stop reading now. XD









No comments:

Post a Comment