Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 98/365: Faded.

Today, I thought I would not only produce something that could be tied to today's theme, but an idea that has  been knocking around in my head for a while. Also, it is relevant to Memorial Day.

The lyric is from "Man in the Wilderness" by Styx, and it was a song that I was privileged enough to see/hear Styx play live when I saw them at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake in August of 2008. It was one of those favorite songs of mine that didn't get much attention on its own, and I never thought in a million years that they would ever play it at that concert.

As for this picture, it's been a couple years since I first got the idea. I just edited a copy of the famous photograph. I have the threshhold tool to thank. I did black in some other areas but most of the heavy lifting in that respect was done by the threshold tool.

This is more or less how I wanted it to look, I believe. I think my original mental picture had more black at the bottom and was more rectangular, almost like a desktop background size, but I'm happy with the way this came out.

Now, as for my opinion regarding war, I don't like it at all. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but I hate it. I support the troops because they don't have any control over where they're sent. I would never go into the military, ever... If everyone thought like me, we'd probably be speaking German right now and today wouldn't even be a holiday, but I'm thankful for those who have served or given their lives to protect their country.
There are a lot of conflicts in which I think war could be avoided, but that's just me. I'm a hippie. I would never last in the military because of that, and because I'm far too mouthy. I'd get my ass kicked.

But I salute those of you who have served. Enjoy today but ultimately take just a little bit of time to think about why it's a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment