Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 126/365: Frustrated.

Hello all. As you'll recall, yesterday I had to use old pictures because I was gone for most of the day. Well, I can confidently come to you now and say that today's piece is new, and I plan on delivering a new piece of art each day for as long as I can.

I used to have some reservations as to continuing this blog, due to the frequency with which I was posting old material, but this Peter Gabriel kick I'm on seems to be helping a great deal. I feel like the blog is coming into its own, and using old material is becoming a more rare occurrence, which is what I had intended it to be.

I am seriously going to read more often. I feel so much more eloquent when I've been reading as opposed to when I've just been going about my usual business.

Anyway, I know you didn't come here to hear me ramble, so I'll just be getting on with the art.

The picture of the gorilla is one I took at a zoo in Minnesota in 2008. The speech bubble was painstakingly filled in by hand with lyrics to the Peter Gabriel song "Animal Nation". I rather enjoy drawing Times New Roman on paper, even though it's a terribly boring font to type in sometimes.

 Looking back on the whole thing, I suppose I could have saved myself a bunch of trouble if I'd just typed it in on the computer and copy/pasted a bunch of rainbow text in the background, but... I like the handwritten look. As you can probably gather from my art, I like when things look crooked and human instead of perfectly smooth and spat out from a computer.

Honestly though, go listen to this song.



It is what served as the inspiration for [and is quite literally in the background of] today's drawing. I had the main "Intelligent life is all around us" drawn out in pencil yesterday, but all the inking and coloring work was done today. And by inking, I mean with a sharpie pen. I love them. They don't bleed like sharpie markers. 

Also, as usual you may be wondering what today's keyword has to do with the picture I made today... It's just frustration. It must be frustrating for the animals if they're so much smarter than we give them credit for, yet we continue to treat them as if they're stupid. In addition, it's frustrating for individuals like myself who know animals are smarter than given credit for. It's frustrating because so many other people remain blind to the fact. Or they think it's so awful to be so similar to primates like apes and chimps. 

Anyway. I hope you'll excuse me for rushing off like this, but we're bringing treats to tonight's PFLAG meeting and we are expecting a large crowd, so I'll want to be getting ready for that.
PS: tomorrow's theme is "fruits of the season".

No comments:

Post a Comment