Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 46/365: Childhood favorite.

Today, in what I hope is the last of the childhood themed suggestions on the 365 art themes list I am using, I present to  you a few of my favorite things when I was a kid.


A care bear: I watched the show when I was little. I watched an episode on tv the day my brother was born. I was five. XD
TMNT ABCs book: I've had this book almost as long. I LOVED the teenage mutant ninja turtles. I often played with my TMNT toys and my little pony toys at the same time. But I credit this book with being one of the things that makes me a dirt worshiping hippie today. To this day, when I see six packs of pop cans, I think of an illustration in this book.

Fern Gully: my favorite movie as a little kid and vastly important to shaping the person I am today. Case in point? Thomas Dolby wrote four of the songs in the movie. Elton John did a song for the credits. Robin Williams voiced what I think was his best character (I like Batty better than the Genie from Aladdin. YEAH I SAID IT). Also, it gets dismissed as a tree hugger movie, but the messages in this movie are not bad at all. It's not some evil liberal hippie agenda. You are not a radical liberal if you give a shit about the earth.

The Mind's Eye: My first experience with this video was checking it out all the time at the public library my mother worked at when I was a kid. She eventually bought a copy, along with Gate to the Mind's Eye, which was the newest one at the time. It's hard to believe but a lot of the music and imagery in this movie have shaped my artwork and tastes to this very day.

Gate to the Mind's Eye: Music by Thomas Dolby. I was musically in love with this man before I even knew who he was. Imagery somewhat similar to The Mind's Eye. I credit these two movies for making me a huge fan of CGI, and if I had any talent or patience whatsoever, I'd want to be a CGI animator.

Honestly though, Thomas Dolby is one of my favorite artists of all time. He had an influence on my childhood without me even knowing about it. Case in point? FernGully. It was one of his synthesizer patches of a woman opera singing that led me to connect the dots and find out that he wrote four of the songs for the movie. 
He wrote the main song to the animated dinosaur movie "We're Back".
I have all that knowledge to thank for me buying a tape of his (Astronauts and Heretics) at a goodwill. To this day it's one of my favorite albums ever. I just... it's a shame that all people know by him is "She Blinded Me With Science" which, while it's a good song, it's gimmicky and a novelty song. And it's nowhere near his best work. I wish more people knew who he was.

Anyway before I went off on random tangents, I was discussing art. Tomorrow's theme is chores, and... Wtf. I have no idea what to do for that. Maybe I'll draw in some dust. Or make a heart shaped coffee stain on the kitchen counter. Whatever. I'll figure it out. XD

Anyhoo, you all have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment