Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 47/365: Chores.

Today, I baked a pie. I took pictures of the process and am going to post them all here. None of them is particularly artsy, but I figured as a whole they could count as a chore, and therefore be relevant for today's entry.

Recipe for the crust I was using. Of course, I was already done mixing everything and had the crust in the oven before I realized there was a recipe for a single crust pie. Which is what I made. So I have a ball of dough in the fridge yet that I can use for something later.

Flour and salt, mixed together.

Next, two of these full of shortening. I hate shortening. I prefer cooking with butter, says my enormous waistline

Cut together until it looks roughly like this. The recipe said "small peas" but whatever works.

Half the dough.

The half I used. I did steal a tiny chunk of what was in the bowl because this wouldn't roll out quite big enough to fit the pie pan.

Ta da! It fit, with a couple minor patch jobs. I poked holes in it because I baked the pie shell empty.

The recipe for the filling, in my handwriting. Have fun reading it.

Chopping up strawberries.

Since our rhubarb plant hasn't grown very much yet this year, all I had was the small amount that I had frozen from last year. So I cheated and threw the strawberries in there. Little did I know that I'd cut up too many strawberries, but I figure I can throw the rest on top of some shortcake.

A mutant strawberry, whose picture I felt it was prudent to record for posterity.

The baked empty pie shell.

Still cooking. *yawns*

Generic strawberry gelatin. We clearly have expensive tastes here.

The filling with the jello packet mixed in.

Finally got the damn thing in the fridge. I am not following the recipe because in their world there aren't any strawberries in the pie at this stage, and I would fold them in after letting the jello chill for a while. As it is, I figure I can cut a piece of pie, drop a dollop of whipped topping, and then scatter the strawberry slices on top. Or, like I said, I could just use them for shortcake.

And there you have it. My step by step pie making process. I'm afraid my parents are going out for dinner, and maybe a movie, and I don't really want to cut the pie yet... My mother is better at cutting even slices and I'd rather she did it later. If you've ever seen me slice a pizza, you'll know that it's best we just wait until mom slices the damn thing.

And poof. Today's entry. I'll probably have a pretty picture of a single slice for you tomorrow. I know that's kind of a loose tie in for today's theme but... I have a raging case of artist's block. It's really quite awful.

Tomorrow's theme is circle, so stay tuned for that.

















No comments:

Post a Comment