Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 50/365: Classic.

Well kids, today this blog turns the big 5-0. Yes. Fifty days, and only two people have bothered to comment or even acknowledge the fact that they've read any of these entries at all.

Fabulous. Nobody reads my other blog either.
I know I have like, over 300 more days for people to catch wind of this blog, but come on now. XD
Part of that is my fault because I just haven't gotten the word out there I guess, but I get irritated when others shamelessly plug their blog everywhere, and I don't want to be one of those people.

Anyway, let's get on with the art.

I am fully aware that this needs to be cleaned up. This screen is darker than the other one, and there are imperfections I see on my computer now that are not visible on our other computer.

Inspired by the Duran Duran song "Astronaut". It's also the title of their 2004 album. I think it was 2004. Either that or 2005. I can't remember.


It's a good song. I promise.

Anyway. This is a little drawing inspired by Duran Duran. The original doodle on scrap paper, which was little more than a trippy head, was the product of me doodling while watching Duran Duran's concert that was broadcast live on Youtube not too long ago.

It sat in my head for a while, then it became a second full body doodle in a tiny notebook that I got from Old Navy a couple years ago.

Now, you have this. I tweaked it and added stuff in Paint Shop Pro 8 because... well just because. It looked boring without the additions. 

This could be a whole lot better, and should the day ever come where I have a tablet, or at least Photoshop, I want to redo this in a more polished style. I'm quite messy when it comes to traditional art mediums so sometimes the vision in my head cannot be adequately translated to the physical world.

Also I'm really not good at drawing steady lines, so as you can imagine that helps immensely.

As is probably obvious, I set out to give the piece an 80s kind of motif, googling 80s swimsuits and hairdos. Even colors, even though I've done my time as an 80s freak and basically knew what sorts of colors were really 80s. I would have liked that orange color to be a little more... well on the same wavelength that the pink and green were, but I only have so many colored sharpies. Lol

Thanks to these fonts for inspiration:
http://www.dafont.com/white-rabbit-by-alice.font
http://www.dafont.com/cassandra.font

I know you're probably wondering how today's piece has to do with "classic" at all, and well... I think Astronaut is a great album. Several years ago, it's basically what got me really smitten with Duran Duran and might be part of the reason I have a Duran Duran tattoo and it's just got a lot of memories for me. I consider it classic. lol.

Tomorrow's theme is "Clueless" and I'm actually clueless as to what I'm going to do for that. It's certainly not going to be fanart from that stupid TGIF tv show from the 90s. Lol.
Whatever. I'll figure it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment