Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 16/365: Baked goods.

I had a nifty plan for today that unfortunately didn't work.

I decided to make lemon bars to take pictures of for today's entry, but... I've never made lemon bars before. To make a long story short, the custardy topping never fully set. In fact, when I went to cut myself a bar, liquid came rushing out of the top and filled the newly vacated square.

The good news is, the goopy mixture tastes really good, but it's super rich. I probably only had the equivalent of two bars, but my stomach is now paying for it by being upset. Boooo.

Anyway, I resorted to using a picture that you've probably already seen, because it was the only picture I found of something I actually baked. I am not good about taking pictures of all the stuff I bake. Mainly because the pictures never come out. *needs a lesson in food photography*

ANYWAY. The picture.

This was a pain in the ass. It's a homemade chocolate cupcake, with homemade buttercream frosting, and a homemade fondant heart on top. In a teacup.

The reason I say that was a pain in the ass requires a backstory. Which I will tell you now.
See, I had an epic idea for cupcakes. My brother was coming home from college for the weekend, and I wanted to make epic cupcakes to send back to college with him.
They were going to be homemade chocolate cupcakes, with either raspberry jam or orange marmalade in the middle. This was before I knew that you just put the blob of jam on top of the cupcake batter, and it will sink in. The jam sank to the bottoms, and none of the cupcakes came out of the pan like they were supposed to.

I freaked out. So, I took off all the tops (because they were still good) and crumbled the goop that was the bottom of each cupcake, and mixed it with muffin batter. The only thing is, I didn't put less flour in the muffin batter to compensate. The mixture was so thick that our hand mixer couldn't handle it. I had to stir it by hand. It was like cement. It still baked up nice though.

The buttercream was easy. The fondant was another story. I was going to put fondant bows on top of each cupcake, but the fondant wouldn't stand up to being molded into anything. I thought it would turn out like a sort of dough I could mold into different shapes, but it was hard enough to get it to stay in those flat cutout heart shapes.

Buuut that backstory is already longer than I wanted, so let's move on. Tomorrow's theme is "bargains" and I plan on doing something The Who related. Because of their song called "Bargain". May be a picture (I have a who coffee mug, and a vinyl of the movie sountrack of Tommy). May be a drawing. May even be a Who collage wallpaper. I'm not sure yet. But I promise promise promise that it WILL be a new piece of art. Not damage control because my baking doesn't turn out the way I want. LOL.

Anyway, I'm off to do facebooky things and watch Eddie Izzard on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment